- 1 How do you install a shed roof on an existing house?
- 2 How do you attach a roof to an existing roof?
- 3 How do you join two roofs together?
- 4 How do you build a shed roof over a deck?
- 5 How do you increase the pitch by building a roof over an existing roof?
- 6 How do you attach a ledger board?
- 7 Is roof spread covered by insurance?
- 8 What is a roof ledger?
- 9 How do you attach shingles to an existing roof?
- 10 How much does it cost to add a gable roof?
- 11 How do you attach a pergola to the roof of a house?
- 12 Where do two roofs meet?
- 13 Can a hip roof have different pitches?
- 14 What is California roof framing?
How do you install a shed roof on an existing house?
Install shed rafters from the ledger board to the outer wall, using metal rafter hangers, which attach to the ledger board with screws or nails. Fit rafter board into the U-shaped hangers and nail it in place. Add decking atop the roof and nail on metal flashing where the shed roof joins the existing roof.
How do you attach a roof to an existing roof?
Take careful measurements to determine how many trusses you will need. To tie into the side of an existing roof, put a new roof truss on the walls of the addition, brace it upright, then snap chalklines on the shingles to mark the center line of the new roof valleys, where old and new roofs will connect.
How do you join two roofs together?
9 Practical Steps about Joining Two Roofs with Different Pitches
- Step 1 – Preparing the Area.
- Step 2 – Measuring the Length of the Joined Area.
- Step 3 – Prepare a Piece of Flashing Material.
- Step 4 – Place the Flashing on the Meeting Point.
- Step 5 – Sealing the Edges of The Roof with Lumber.
- Step 6 – Apply a Bead of the Sealant Material.
- Step 7 – Securing the Flashing.
How do you build a shed roof over a deck?
Building a Shed Roof Over A Deck: Step By Step
- Post Base Connectors. Install post base connectors to attach the support posts to the deck frame.
- Set Support Posts.
- Temporary Bracing.
- Install the header beam.
- Installing the header next to the house.
- Install the ledger board.
- The rafter pitch angle.
- Layout your rafters.
How do you increase the pitch by building a roof over an existing roof?
The cheapest option would be to leave the old roof in place and place the new rafters over the existing roof.
- Use Premade Roof Trusses.
- Things You’ll Remove.
- Installing the New Roof.
- Doing the Heavy Lifting.
- Steps to Finish the Job.
How do you attach a ledger board?
Attaching a Ledger Board to Your House
- Remove Siding. Determine the outside dimensions of the framing for the deck and add ½” to 1″ to that length.
- Set the Height of the Ledger Board.
- Block Joists from Inside the House.
- Install First Flashing Piece.
- Bolt Ledger in Place.
- Install Second Flashing.
- Attach Joist Hangers.
Is roof spread covered by insurance?
Typical examples of such defects include roof spread, wall tie failure, poor lateral restraint, calcium silicate brickwork, shrinkage of plaster, compaction of fill under solid floors. These types of problem are not generally covered by insurance.
What is a roof ledger?
The ledger, typically a 2 by 6, is usually designed to hold one end of the patio-roof rafters. Locating and mounting the ledger is normally a fairly easy process; the ledger should be attached before the foundation is built for a deck, patio roof posts, and other structure.
How do you attach shingles to an existing roof?
Lift the underlayment out of the way, and then lay a 3-ft. -wide roll of waterproof shingle underlayment in the valley. Shingle the addition roof, letting the new shingles fold through the valley center and onto the old roof deck by at least 1 ft. Re-lay the shingles you removed from the existing roof.
How much does it cost to add a gable roof?
How much is the cost of adding a gable roof to an existing house? It costs about $5.50 per gable beam to add this type of roof to an existing house.
How do you attach a pergola to the roof of a house?
- Mark the Pergola Elevation and Width on the House.
- Cut and Notch Three Beams for the First Roof Layer.
- Level, Pre-drill and Attach the Pergola Ledger to the House.
- Drill Patio for Post Brackets and Attach with Expansion Anchors.
- Install Post Supports and Posts to Brackets with Heavy-gauge Nails.
Where do two roofs meet?
Valley—Where two sloping roof sections meet. Valley Flashing—The metal or fabric in valleys, extending in under the shingles on both sides.
Can a hip roof have different pitches?
For example, in an equal hip roof with an 8 / 12 pitch, the pitch of the hip rafter would be 8 / 17. But here it will be different, since the hip rafter doesn’t lie at 45 degrees to the commons. The pitch of the unequal hip rafter can be expressed in relation to either the main roof or the secondary roof.
What is California roof framing?
When one roof is framed on top of another, already existing roof, this type of roof framing is sometimes called “California” roof framing. Sometimes I sheath the existing roof before framing the California roof and also add a “flat valley board”, ( usally a 2″ x 12″ ) to nail the California jack rafters to.