- 1 Can you use a stud finder on plaster walls?
- 2 What is the best stud finder for plaster walls?
- 3 Can’t find any studs in my wall?
- 4 Do lath and plaster walls have studs?
- 5 How do you mount a TV on a plaster wall without studs?
- 6 Can I use my iPhone as a stud finder?
- 7 How do you find a stud without a detector?
- 8 Do you need anchors in plaster walls?
- 9 Are studs always 16 apart?
- 10 Are outlets always on studs?
- 11 Can you mount a TV without studs?
- 12 Why is my stud finder not working?
- 13 Why is my stud finder inaccurate?
- 14 Do stud finder apps actually work?
Can you use a stud finder on plaster walls?
To function properly, the wall surface must have a consistent density level, and be less dense than the wood stud. Stud finders, however, will not always return accurate results with lath and plaster walls because of the very inconsistent method by which they are constructed.
What is the best stud finder for plaster walls?
Best Stud Finder For Plaster Walls
- Stanley Fatmax FMH77407 stud finder.
- B&D Bullseye stud finder.
- Bosch GMS120 digital stud finder.
- Precision ProFinder 5000 stud finder.
- Homder Digital stud finder.
- Zircon e50 stud sensor.
- Zircon i520 center-finding multi-scanner.
- Franklin Sensors Prosensor 710 stud finder.
Can’t find any studs in my wall?
There are several savvy ways to spot studs without any tool. Take a look at baseboard trim or crown molding. Baseboards should be attached to studs and if the spacing of nails is about 16 inches this might be the case. Spot the nails with your eye then knock on the wall directly above the nail location.
Do lath and plaster walls have studs?
Prior to the 1950s, most walls were built using a combination of vertical studs, horizontal wooden beams called laths and plaster seams. Because standard stud finders detect a change in density inside the wall, they don’t work on lath and plaster — the density inside these walls is not constant enough.
How do you mount a TV on a plaster wall without studs?
How Can You Mount a TV on the Wall Without Studs?
- Anchors. An anchor is one of the simplest ways to hang a TV on the wall without a stud.
- Toggle Anchors or Molly Bolts. Toggle anchors/toggle bolts look like regular screws, but they come with a butterfly toggle at the end.
- Consider a Mounting Plate.
- Mount Your TV From the Ceiling.
- Things to Keep in Mind Before Mounting.
Can I use my iPhone as a stud finder?
The iPhone beeps when its magnetometer, in the upper right of the phone, is near metal. Stud Find is an iPhone application that uses the device’s built-in magnetometer to find metal studs, screws, nails and anything metallic in a wall.
How do you find a stud without a detector?
If you don’t find signs of a stud 16 inches from the first one, measure 24 inches from the first stud and look again there. Drive a small nail into the wall where you believe you have found a stud. If the nail doesn’t hit wood under the plaster or drywall, pull it out and insert a wire hanger into the hole.
Do you need anchors in plaster walls?
When drilling into plaster, it is highly recommended to use a wall anchor. Wall anchors ensure that your screws for plaster wall hold properly and don’t break the plaster around them.
Are studs always 16 apart?
Why You Should Find Studs
They’re always spaced either 16 or 24 inches on-center (measured from center to center) along the wall and run between the floor and ceiling. Drywall or lath (for plaster walls) attaches to the edge of the studs.
Are outlets always on studs?
Most electrical boxes for switches or outlets are attached to a stud on one side. There are studs on either side of a window. Most trim (crown molding, baseboard, and shoe molding) is nailed on the stud.
Can you mount a TV without studs?
Can you mount a TV without studs? You can mount a TV without studs using anchors, toggle anchors, mounting plates, ceiling mounts, and other mounting options. Of course, you have to keep your TV’s size and weight in mind and choose the right option.
Why is my stud finder not working?
1) Check Your Battery. If your stud finder worked previously, but no longer seems to work, about 9 times out of 10, the problem is a weak battery. You may swear that the battery is still good, but it’s not. Compared to garage doors and many other devices, stud finders require a very strong battery.
Why is my stud finder inaccurate?
Even though your tool indicated that it located a stud right where you need it, a stud finder can signal false positives when there is metal piping or flashing or brackets within the wall.
Do stud finder apps actually work?
Stud finder applications for the smartphone can detect studs behind the wall and other metal objects like earrings and lost keys. Depending on the quality of the app and its capabilities, they can work just as well as a stud finder device, although they often lack the other features that these tools come with.