- 1 How do you start a gas fireplace with a key?
- 2 How does a gas fireplace wall switch work?
- 3 How do you start a gas fireplace?
- 4 Should the pilot light always be on in a gas fireplace?
- 5 What do you do when your gas fireplace won’t light?
- 6 How do you start a gas fireplace when the power is out?
- 7 Will a gas fireplace stay on if the power goes out?
- 8 Can you manually light a gas fireplace with electronic ignition?
- 9 How long can you run a gas fireplace?
- 10 Can I run my gas fireplace without the fan?
- 11 Why are there 2 switches for my gas fireplace?
- 12 How much does it cost to service a gas fireplace?
- 13 Do gas fireplaces heat the room?
- 14 Can you put real wood in a gas fireplace?
How do you start a gas fireplace with a key?
Igniting with a Fireplace Key
- Look over the user manual included with your fireplace.
- Remove your fireplace’s outer cover.
- Put a fireplace key into the device’s gas valve knob.
- Hold a long lighter up to the burner and ignite it.
- Turn the gas key.
- Replace the fireplace’s outer cover immediately.
How does a gas fireplace wall switch work?
HOW DOES YOUR GAS FIREPLACE START? When you flip a wall switch, click on your remote control or the thermostat calls for heat, the gas valve on your fireplace will open. Gas valves generate their own electricity and operate on millivolts, a very small amount of electricity.
How do you start a gas fireplace?
How to Start a Gas Fireplace with a Key
- Step 1: Remove the outer cover of the fireplace to access the burner.
- Step 2: Locate the metal keyhole near the fireplace.
- Step 3: Insert the end of the key into the keyhole until it locks in place.
- Step 4: Ignite a long lighter and place it next to the pilot burner.
Should the pilot light always be on in a gas fireplace?
Leaving the gas on keeps this compound moving out of the tubes. Keeping the pilot light on will also keep moisture out of the unit and in turn, help prevent corrosion. As you can see, it’s probably best in most cases to extinguish the pilot light in your gas fireplace during the months when you don’t need heat.
What do you do when your gas fireplace won’t light?
If your gas fireplace has an electronic ignition check or replace the fuse. While if it is on a breaker, turn the breaker all the way off and then back on again. Sometimes this is an easy way to fix a gas fireplace that won’t turn on.
How do you start a gas fireplace when the power is out?
Gas fireplaces that are more recent have an electronic ignition system that needs a spark of electricity to bring the appliance to life with a crackling fire. If you have a newer model, you can buy a backup, battery-powered igniter to fill your space with heat and light when the power is out.
Will a gas fireplace stay on if the power goes out?
A fireplace or hearth stove can save the day—and night
If you have a gas fireplace or stove with a standing pilot, it will light during a power outage since it doesn’t require electricity to activate the pilot flame.
Can you manually light a gas fireplace with electronic ignition?
If your gas fireplace has an energy-saving, alternating pilot ignition system, it will need electricity to trigger the pilot flame every time the fireplace is used. If you have a wireless remote control, or a wall switch with a display, find the control box of the fireplace and switch to manual.
How long can you run a gas fireplace?
Whereas, gas fireplaces that have easily opened doors on the front and are vent-free, should only be operated for two to three hours at a time.
Can I run my gas fireplace without the fan?
You can operate an enclosed, vented gas fireplace without turning on the fan for as long as you need to. This includes both direct vent gas fireplaces and fireplace inserts. Vented gas fireplaces are designed to run with or without the fan so they can be used as a heat source even during a power outage.
Why are there 2 switches for my gas fireplace?
Pilot flame is heating a safety element which actually allows the gas to flow to the burner. No pilot flame no burner gas. The second switch may or may not have anything to do with the fireplace. May be for powering a wall recepticule.
How much does it cost to service a gas fireplace?
The cost for gas fireplace servicing will depend on where you live, the size and condition of your fireplace and whether the service call is urgent. Expect to spend between $100 and $200, although in some areas it may be much higher.
Do gas fireplaces heat the room?
Heat the area of the home where you spend the most time (often the great room or basement) with a gas fireplace by turning the thermostat down and the fireplace up. This keeps those rooms warm and comfortable and reduces the amount of money spent heating rooms that aren’t in use.
Can you put real wood in a gas fireplace?
The answer to “Can you burn wood in a gas fireplace?” is a resounding NO! That is, if your setup is a true gas-only fireplace. In this type of installation, burning wood is extremely hazardous. With other kinds of gas fireplaces, you might be able to burn wood, but only under the right conditions.