- 1 What height should wall cabinets be hung?
- 2 What is the standard height to hang upper cabinets?
- 3 How high should cabinets be for an 8 foot ceiling?
- 4 What is the standard height between upper and lower cabinets?
- 5 How many screws do I need for wall cabinets?
- 6 Should you install upper or lower cabinets first?
- 7 Why do kitchen cabinets not go to the ceiling?
- 8 How do you fill the gap between kitchen cabinets and ceiling?
- 9 Should upper kitchen cabinets go to the ceiling?
- 10 Do kitchen cabinets need to go to ceiling?
- 11 Can you hang kitchen cabinets from the ceiling?
- 12 How much space do you need between island and cabinets?
- 13 How much space should be between stove and cabinets?
What height should wall cabinets be hung?
How high should wall cabinets be hung above the counter? “The standard distance is 18 inches” from the top of the counter to the bottom of the wall cabinet, Scott says. “But we subscribe to the Scandinavian design aesthetic, and we often put cabinets higher—say, 24 inches above the counter, or even more.
What is the standard height to hang upper cabinets?
The ideal upper cabinet height is 54 inches above the floor.
That is, the bottom edge of the upper cabinets should sit 54 inches off the ground.
How high should cabinets be for an 8 foot ceiling?
A general rule of thumb is for wall cabinets to be mounted so the bottom edge is 54 inches above the floor, which means that an 8-foot-tall ceiling creates 42 inches of available space for wall cabinets, while a 9-foot-tall ceiling has 54 available inches.
What is the standard height between upper and lower cabinets?
The standard distance between the top of a kitchen counter and the bottom of the wall cabinets above it is 18 inches. For the average person, this distance is the ideal balance between plenty of space to work on the countertop and the ability to reach all of the shelves in the cabinet.
How many screws do I need for wall cabinets?
Overview. Any cabinet wider than 12″ really should have at least 4 screws holding it in place. The best locations for these screws are the top rail and the bottom rail. (The back wall can serve as a third location, though it is not quite as ideal.)
Should you install upper or lower cabinets first?
8. Uppers or lowers first? Cabinet installers will probably never agree on whether upper or lower cabinets should be installed first. Installing upper cabinets first allows better access for lifting the cabinets in place, whether you use extra manpower or special tools such as cabinet lifts.
Why do kitchen cabinets not go to the ceiling?
Ceiling height cabinets are not easy to access as they are very high up in the ceiling. Anything up there at the top of these cabinets is quite hard to access hence you will need to have something to step on in order to reach these things. This also poses some very serious safety concerns.
How do you fill the gap between kitchen cabinets and ceiling?
You can build the cabinets to the ceiling (most expensive option), keep the area open (no cost!), build a soffit to match the cabinets, or add a drywall soffit.
Should upper kitchen cabinets go to the ceiling?
The clearest indicator of how tall your kitchen cabinets should be is the height of your kitchen’s ceilings. The kitchen cabinets and molding do not go to the ceiling and the wall cabinets and trim will be just below the ceiling. Any crown molding or trim will continue around the room, above the cabinetry.
Do kitchen cabinets need to go to ceiling?
For those with extra high ceilings in the kitchen, those ceilings higher than 10 feet, the general rule of thumb is not to take the cabinetry to the ceiling. Functionally, cabinets higher than 10 feet would be extremely difficult to get to, and aesthetically, cabinets that are too tall can overwhelm the space.
Can you hang kitchen cabinets from the ceiling?
Hanging cabinets from the ceiling of a kitchen can be completed as a do-it-yourself project, but for safety’s sake, you should have at least one person assisting you. That’s because cabinets are heavy and awkward, and you‘ll need someone to stabilize the cabinet while you drill it into the ceiling.
How much space do you need between island and cabinets?
The general rule is that you will need at least 42 to 48 inches (106.68 cm to 121.92 cm) of open space around your island. Another lifesaving guideline: if your kitchen is less than 13 feet wide, we don’t recommend adding an island at all.
How much space should be between stove and cabinets?
It is recommended that you leave between 24″ and 30″ of space between the top of your stove and the above cabinet. Spacing between stoves and other kitchen objects is essential for both safety and best kitchen practices.