- 1 How long should my sword blade be?
- 2 Why are wushu swords so floppy?
- 3 How long is a sword in feet?
- 4 How long is a broadsword?
- 5 Why are katanas so short?
- 6 How heavy is a samurai sword?
- 7 Why do Chinese swords bend?
- 8 Why do Chinese swords have rings?
- 9 Are swords supposed to be flexible?
- 10 Which type of sword is the best?
- 11 What is the longest sword in the world?
- 12 At what point does a knife become a sword?
- 13 What type of sword was Excalibur?
- 14 What is the difference between a Claymore and a broadsword?
- 15 How long should a katana be for my height?
How long should my sword blade be?
A Gladius should have a blade a long as the distance from your elbow to your finger tips. A single hand broadsword should be short enough not to catch on the ground when in your fighting stance. A two handed great sword that is longer than you are tall is just bragging, from your feet to your chin is more practical.
Why are wushu swords so floppy?
Why are the swords so floppy? Wushu is heavily focused on speed, fluidity, and explosiveness. Having a light-weight sword helps. This is why the blades have evolved to be made of high-carbon steels, which reduce the stiffness but make the material much lighter compared to stiffer steels.
How long is a sword in feet?
A typical longsword is estimated as about a metre long (3 feet and 4 inches), though the size of the sword depends on the wielder. The longsword has a long blade for a one-handed weapon, and most longswords are well suited to both cutting and thrusting.
How long is a broadsword?
The length of the Broadsword ranged from 30 – 45 inches. The Medieval Broadsword weighed between 3 – 5 pounds. It was used as close contact weapon. The weapon was primarily used for cutting or slicing an opponent and was capable of cutting off the limbs or head of an enemy in one stroke.
Why are katanas so short?
Katana were short because the tokugawa shogunate passed laws to regulate sword length. Tachi were reasonably long relative to european swords, and theres also weapons like the nodachi (or whatever the hell is proper to call those really big swords nowadays) which are more or less japanese greatswords.
How heavy is a samurai sword?
Mostly Katana is between 900 grams and 1400 grams (2lbs to 3.1lbs), with the average Katana weighing in at 1200 grams (1.2kg or 2.65 lbs).
Why do Chinese swords bend?
The main chinese sword is a single edged combat weapon the Dao. As to the flexibility you ask per the movies well the jian used for wushu practice was not designed for combat and has a very high degree of flex used to appeal visually to an audience also transfer effective sounds.
Why do Chinese swords have rings?
1. Inertia, adjust the center of gravity, increase the slashing and lethality. When the broadsword is erected, the rings hang down, and the center of gravity of the sword will be offset in the direction of the hand, so that the hand can control the whole sword.
Are swords supposed to be flexible?
Sword flex is a side effect of keeping weight down and is not desirable in a sword. If you want a thin sword that cuts very well then it will be more flexible due to the thinner cross section.
Which type of sword is the best?
Top 10 Sword Types
- Katana. Why does everyone think this is so good?
- Scimitar. Possessing this saber is irresistible.
What is the longest sword in the world?
The largest sword measures 14.93 m (48 ft 11.79 in) and was achieved by Fujairah Crown Prince Award (UAE) at the Al Saif roundabout and Fujairah Fort, in Fujairah, UAE, on 16 December 2011.
At what point does a knife become a sword?
Knives are generally 6 inches or less, while swords are generally a foot or longer. While there is no established cut-off between a knife and a sword as far as length. The longer the blade gets to a certain point, the more useful it becomes as a fighting weapon.
What type of sword was Excalibur?
|Excalibur the Sword by Howard Pyle (1903)|
|Plot element from the Matter of Britain|
What is the difference between a Claymore and a broadsword?
Claymores are cross hilted two handed swords where the guard is angled towards the blade. Usually the guard ends in a flower shaped ornament. Scottish Broadswords are single handles and can come both cross hilted OR basket hilted.
How long should a katana be for my height?
Method 2 – User’s Height
|User’s Height||Samurai Sword Length|
|5 ft 5||165 cm||2.35|
|5 ft 7||170 cm||2.40|
|5 ft 9||175 cm||2.45|
|5 ft 11||180 cm||2.50|