- 1 How do you secure a mantel to the wall?
- 2 How do you attach a floating mantel?
- 3 How do you hang a heavy mantle?
- 4 How far should a mantle stick out?
- 5 How long should a mantel be?
- 6 How do you remove a floating mantel?
- 7 How much weight can a mantle hold?
- 8 How do you attach a floating mantel to Brick?
- 9 How do you hang a log mantel?
How do you secure a mantel to the wall?
Slide Over Bolts Method
- Locate the studs behind the brick, stone, or faux veneer.
- Drive 1/2in lag screws through each of the studs.
- Have a helper support the mantel while you mark the location of the support rods on the back of the beam.
- Apply construction adhesive into the holes.
- Slide into place, admire, and enjoy!
How do you attach a floating mantel?
Make sure those marks are level, centered and extend far enough to cover the mantel’s length.
- drill holes at each mark. Drill Sleeve Holes.
- insert lead sleeves into holes. Insert Sleeves.
- drive lag bolts. Drive Lag Bolts.
- Drill Mantel Holes. Mark on the rear of the mantel where the lag bolts will hit.
- install the mantle.
How do you hang a heavy mantle?
The mantel needs to anchor to the studs in the wall above the fireplace. Drive 1/2- or 3/4-inch rebar rods or lag screws into pilot holes drilled into the studs. For best support, drive them all the way through the stud. Place one rod or screw in each stud behind the mantel.
How far should a mantle stick out?
A mantel should extend a minimum of 3 inches beyond the firebox opening. If the fireplace has facing around the opening, the mantel can also extend 3 or more inches beyond that.
How long should a mantel be?
A safe route is to make it 12” longer than the fireplace box. For instance, if your fireplace box is 42” then you would order a 56” long mantel. The majority of mantels we sell are from 66”-78”, but we make every mantel custom to your unique space.
How do you remove a floating mantel?
Pound the bottom of the mantel shelf with a rubber mallet to separate it from the wall if it doesn’t release when you pry the base of the mantel away from the wall. Tap it gently, but with enough force to pull the nails from the wall. Once it’s loosened, pull out on the shelf to remove it.
How much weight can a mantle hold?
The maximum weight for all 60INCH MANTELS is 150 lbs. The maximum load for all 72 inch mantels is 180 lbs.
How do you attach a floating mantel to Brick?
How to Install a Mantel
- Remove the old mantel.
- Add support by drilling holes for lag shields, then install lag bolts into the brick.
- Measure carefully and drill corresponding holes for the wood mantel.
- Push the wooden mantel carefully into place using wood glue for extra support.
How do you hang a log mantel?
How to Mount Log Mantel to Stud Wall
- Attach a 2X4 or a appropriately sized piece of wood to the back flat of the mantel.
- Attach enclosed brackets provided to 2X4 spaced to fit over studs in wall.
- Raise mantel to desired height [check local building codes] and screw the brackets to the studs in the wall.