- 1 Will a stud finder work on plaster walls?
- 2 What is the best stud finder for plaster walls?
- 3 Can’t find any studs in my wall?
- 4 How do you find a stud without a detector?
- 5 How far apart are studs in plaster walls?
- 6 Can I use my iPhone as a stud finder?
- 7 Do you need anchors in plaster walls?
- 8 How do you hang something heavy on a plaster wall?
- 9 Why does my stud finder not work?
- 10 Are outlets always on studs?
- 11 Can you mount a TV without studs?
- 12 Do stud finder apps really work?
- 13 How much weight can a drywall hold?
Will a stud finder work on plaster walls?
To function properly, the wall surface must have a consistent density level, and be less dense than the wood stud. Stud finders, however, will not always return accurate results with lath and plaster walls because of the very inconsistent method by which they are constructed.
What is the best stud finder for plaster walls?
Best Stud Finder For Plaster Walls
- Stanley Fatmax FMH77407 stud finder.
- B&D Bullseye stud finder.
- Bosch GMS120 digital stud finder.
- Precision ProFinder 5000 stud finder.
- Homder Digital stud finder.
- Zircon e50 stud sensor.
- Zircon i520 center-finding multi-scanner.
- Franklin Sensors Prosensor 710 stud finder.
Can’t find any studs in my wall?
There are several savvy ways to spot studs without any tool. Take a look at baseboard trim or crown molding. Baseboards should be attached to studs and if the spacing of nails is about 16 inches this might be the case. Spot the nails with your eye then knock on the wall directly above the nail location.
How do you find a stud without a detector?
If you don’t find signs of a stud 16 inches from the first one, measure 24 inches from the first stud and look again there. Drive a small nail into the wall where you believe you have found a stud. If the nail doesn’t hit wood under the plaster or drywall, pull it out and insert a wire hanger into the hole.
How far apart are studs in plaster walls?
They’re always spaced either 16 or 24 inches on-center (measured from center to center) along the wall and run between the floor and ceiling. Drywall or lath (for plaster walls) attaches to the edge of the studs.
Can I use my iPhone as a stud finder?
The iPhone beeps when its magnetometer, in the upper right of the phone, is near metal. Stud Find is an iPhone application that uses the device’s built-in magnetometer to find metal studs, screws, nails and anything metallic in a wall.
Do you need anchors in plaster walls?
When drilling into plaster, it is highly recommended to use a wall anchor. Wall anchors ensure that your screws for plaster wall hold properly and don’t break the plaster around them.
How do you hang something heavy on a plaster wall?
Screws (and screws with masonry anchors for heavy items) are your best choice for hanging things on plaster walls without picture rail. For lighter items, simply screwing into the plaster with a 1 1/4” drywall screw is usually enough to get the job done.
Why does my stud finder not work?
1) Check Your Battery. If your stud finder worked previously, but no longer seems to work, about 9 times out of 10, the problem is a weak battery. You may swear that the battery is still good, but it’s not. Compared to garage doors and many other devices, stud finders require a very strong battery.
Are outlets always on studs?
Most electrical boxes for switches or outlets are attached to a stud on one side. There are studs on either side of a window. Most trim (crown molding, baseboard, and shoe molding) is nailed on the stud.
Can you mount a TV without studs?
Can you mount a TV without studs? You can mount a TV without studs using anchors, toggle anchors, mounting plates, ceiling mounts, and other mounting options. Of course, you have to keep your TV’s size and weight in mind and choose the right option.
Do stud finder apps really work?
Stud finder applications for the smartphone can detect studs behind the wall and other metal objects like earrings and lost keys. Depending on the quality of the app and its capabilities, they can work just as well as a stud finder device, although they often lack the other features that these tools come with.
How much weight can a drywall hold?
Exactly how much weight drywall can hold depends on where and how the weight is mounted. A thin nail in hollow drywall will leave even a light picture frame on the floor, but use the right hardware and technique, and your vertical drywall might be able to hold as much as 100 pounds.