- 1 How do you fold a hakama?
- 2 How do you fold an Aikido Gi?
- 3 When can you wear a hakama in Aikido?
- 4 What do you wear under a hakama?
- 5 How do I pack my GI?
- 6 What do the 7 pleats in a hakama mean?
- 7 What is the Aikido uniform called?
- 8 What do you wear for Aikido?
- 9 What is a hakama with crest?
- 10 What is the male kimono called?
- 11 What is worn over a kimono?
How do you fold a hakama?
How to fold a hakama
- Lay the hakama face down on the floor.
- Place your left hand securely over the bottom of the hakama over the ends of the two back pleats.
- Fold the left and right sides of the hakama about 10 cm over the front.
- Starting at the bottom of the hakama, fold the hakama over itself working your way up to the koshiita.
How do you fold an Aikido Gi?
How to fold your Aikido Hakama
- Place the Aikido Hakama down with the back facing up.
- Put the centre creases together
- Being careful not to disrupt the centrefold, flip over the Aikido Hakama.
- This is the Aikido Hakama flipped over with the front facing up.
- Fold either side towards the centre.
When can you wear a hakama in Aikido?
To start wearing a hakama in our dojo you must be at least a nikyu and be teaching in some way, either as an assitant in a class or teaching a class of your own. For us, the ladies wear them from day one, the lads start wearing them at 1st Dan.
What do you wear under a hakama?
Traditionally a kimono is worn under the hakama but I think this is when it is being worn ceremonially. According to Wikepedia the spoon shaped plate hanging at the back of the hakama is called the hera and slots into the obi, keeping the hakama in place.
How do I pack my GI?
- Put your folded pants over your open jacket.
- Fold the jacket sides over the pants, then fold back the sleeves.
- Roll up the jacket/pants from the bottom.
- Tie your belt around the gi sausage.
- Swing over your shoulder and travel the world!
What do the 7 pleats in a hakama mean?
Interpretation #1: According to Wikipedia hakama have seven deep pleats, two on the back and five on the front. The pleats are said to represent the seven virtues of bushido, considered essential to the samurai way.
What is the Aikido uniform called?
The uniform worn for practicing aikido (aikidōgi) is similar to the training uniform (keikogi) used in most other modern martial arts; simple trousers and a wraparound jacket, usually white. Both thick (“judo-style”), and thin (“karate-style”) cotton tops are used.
What do you wear for Aikido?
A hakama is the skirt-like pants that some Aikidoka wear. It is a traditional piece of samurai clothing. The standard gi worn in Aikido as well as in other martial arts such as Judo or Karate was originally underclothes. Wearing it is part of the tradition of (most schools of) Aikido.
What is a hakama with crest?
Mon-tsuki is a formal kimono with family crests. It’s worn by men on formal parties or ceremonies, like marriage ceremonies of family or relative. Also it’s worn for funeral. “Mon” means “family crest“, and “Tsuki” means “putting on”.
What is the male kimono called?
|Men’s and women’s yukata|
|Type||Casual summer kimono|
|Place of origin||Japan|
What is worn over a kimono?
What is a Hakama? Hakama are a pant-like garment worn over a kimono. Hakama are affixed by a series of strings that are wound about the body and then tied at the back. Hakama are typically worn with tabi (Japanese split-toe socks) and Japanese style sandals.