- 1 How do you hang a shelf on a plaster wall without studs?
- 2 How do you mount a coat rack to the wall?
- 3 What are the best anchors for plaster walls?
- 4 How much weight can you hang on a plaster wall?
- 5 Can command strips be used on plaster walls?
- 6 Do stud finders work on plaster walls?
- 7 How high should a coat rack be hung on the wall?
- 8 How do you hang something heavy on the wall without nails?
- 9 How much weight can drywall anchors hold?
- 10 Can you use toggle bolts in plaster?
- 11 Do Monkey Hooks work on plaster walls?
How do you hang a shelf on a plaster wall without studs?
Plaster Walls without Available Studs
- Mark the locations of all of the bracket mounting holes onto the wall, using a level to make sure the brackets will be level with each other.
- Drill a small pilot hole with a wood-boring bit into each mark made through the mounting holes for each bracket.
How do you mount a coat rack to the wall?
- Step 1: Find the Studs. Determine the rough position of the rack, then use a stud finder to locate the nearest studs.
- Step 2: Measure the Height. Use a tape measure and a pencil to mark the position of the rack on the wall.
- Step 3: Level the Rack.
- Step 4: Drill Holes.
- Step 5: Install Anchors.
- Step 6: Mount the Rack.
What are the best anchors for plaster walls?
Plastic wall anchors, Molly Bolts or Toggle Bolts? Plastic wall anchors don’t work with lath and plaster walls. Instead, use plaster anchors made of metal like a molly bolt or a toggle bolt. Be sure to use one that’s long enough to get behind the plaster and lath.
How much weight can you hang on a plaster wall?
Metal toggle bolts can support heavy loads (25 pounds to 50 pounds) in drywall, plaster and hollow-core concrete block. Plastic versions hold medium loads (10 pounds to 25 pounds) in drywall and plaster.
Can command strips be used on plaster walls?
To what surfaces will Command™ Products stick? Painted, stained or varnished wood, glass, tile, painted cinder block, plaster, metal, and painted wallboard. Command™ Outdoor Products can also be used on smooth, sealed and finished surfaces including vinyl siding and fences, doors, windows, decks, gutters and trim.
Do stud finders work on plaster walls?
To function properly, the wall surface must have a consistent density level, and be less dense than the wood stud. Stud finders, however, will not always return accurate results with lath and plaster walls because of the very inconsistent method by which they are constructed.
How high should a coat rack be hung on the wall?
Installed at 5 feet on a wall, the average adult and a school-aged child are able to reach the hooks on a wall-mounted rack. This height, adjusted slightly up or down as needed allows plenty of hanging space beneath the coats as well, to ensure that even a long coat does not touch the floor.
How do you hang something heavy on the wall without nails?
Here are three ways to hang heavy frames without damaging your home or office walls:
- Command strips to hold up the frame (most effective)
- Hook-and-loop tapes (or Velcro) for textured walls.
- Command hooks for frames that weigh between 50 and 80 pounds.
How much weight can drywall anchors hold?
Toggles, anchors or molly bolts are surprisingly strong. A 1/8 toggle can hold 30 pounds on 1/2-inch drywall and a 3/8-inch toggle can handle a hefty 50 pounds or more safely. When applying any kind of drywall anchor, you should understand how they work and which screw anchor may work best to put into a hollow wall.
Can you use toggle bolts in plaster?
Metal toggle bolts can support heavy loads in drywall, plaster and hollow-core concrete block. Plastic versions hold medium loads in drywall and plaster. To install: Bore a hole in the wall large enough to accommodate the toggle. Fit the item to be anchored over the bolt, then insert the toggle and tighten.
Do Monkey Hooks work on plaster walls?
Do they work on plaster and lathe walls, or only on drywall/sheetrock? Answer: Yes, but a hole would need to be drilled through first. You would need a drill bit 1/16 or less.